“New Year, New You” is an ongoing blog series focused on on getting your mind, body and spirit ready for dating in 2013. The series will feature posts by Dr. Helen Fisher, biological anthropologist and scientific advisor for Chemistry.com, Bela Gandhi, Dating Coach and President of Smart Dating Academy, and Amanda Ebner, M.A.; M.Ed.; and personal trainer for FitOrbit.com, an online personal training resource.
By Bela Gandhi, Dating Coach and President of Smart Dating Academy
One of the easiest and most important ways to hit a homerun on your dates is to look great; dress to impress. What you’ve heard about first impressions is 100% true; people do judge you by how you look (it’s human nature), and your date will too! Here are some foolproof tips on having a knockout date wardrobe:
- Most men like feminine women, and love when we wear pretty colored dresses and skirts (on dates, it’s best to stay away from bold prints – keep it simple)! Showing off the “waist/hip” ratio is so important and belts are an easy way to do this! Nothing “too low” or “too high.” Keep it classy!
- Invest in a few blouses that are bright, elegant, and figure flattering. Soft, flowing materials such as satin or chiffon are gorgeous and elegant.
- Dark, boot-cut jeans and skirts (pencil skirts are fabulous!) are must-haves. They are a great way to mix it up with your feminine blouses, while still being flattering and gorgeous! If you live in a colder climate, you can pair your skirt with tights and boots for a warm, great look!
- Men love heels – again, a sign of femininity. Find a pair of sexy heels that you can pair with many different colors and looks. Heels help elongate your legs and are great for posture. They also help you feel sexy – and men will notice that!
- Simple accessories are best – save big bold and chunky for girls night out!
Men, step it up a notch!
Women love well dressed men who exude power and confidence. Your easiest way to think about getting dressed for a date is what Smart Dating Academy men call the “dating uniform” – a great sport coat, crisp shirt, dark jeans, and accessories. Trust us: it works on the ladies every time!
- Invest in updated well-fitted sport coats: Navy, black or gray are perfectly versatile.
- Wear a crisp, new dress shirt underneath your sport coat (get rid of old, stained ones). Blues, whites, lighter greens are masculine, and look great either as solids or with subtle patterns!
- Don a pair of dark, well-fitted jeans. You don’t need anything fancy – just dark, straight legged, and updated (no jeans from ten years ago please)! Modern dress pants (flat front) can work just as well!
- Don’t forget accessories: Completing your sexy look is about choosing the right footwear. Do not wear sneakers on a date! Find a pair of nice square-toed shoes or boots, or a great pair of dress shoes. If you are out buying a new pair, we recommend brown (and a matching belt) because it’s a bit more hip than black.
Dressing up makes you not only look good, but feel good, and feeling good is KEY to having a good date. Follow these tips and you’ll be amazed at the feedback you’ll start to get! Happy dating!