Each month Chemistry.com invites a few of our favorite love and relationship sites to share a little wisdom on matters of the heart. Today YourTango, a site dedicated to helping readers live their best love lives dishes up some special Valentine’s Day advice. By Amanda Chatel.
Here is a no brainer, according to a few recent studies Valentine’s Day can be very stressful no matter what your relationship status is. For singles however, Cupid’s big day can be uniquely maddening. So if you are uncoupled this year, don’t feel left out, you can still celebrate Feb 14th on your own terms by treating yourself to the finer things in life.
1. Buy yourself flowers. Flowers not only brighten up a room, but can brighten up your day so do it now for yourself
2. Take yourself out — yes, even on busy Valentine’s Day evening. It might be scary at first to go into a restaurant alone, but it also takes a huge amount of confidence, and confidence is sexy. People are attracted to those who exude confidence, so you never know — you just might meet someone while you’re out there. This tip works for both men and women — so ladies, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.
3. Eat dessert for breakfast. If you want to reward yourself or really feel like you’re treating yourself to something special, opt for starting your day with a cupcake or something equally sweet. You may not want to make it habit, but every once in awhile it’s fun.
4. Get lost. Slow your life down a bit, breathe and have an adventure by yourself. Take the long way home, or get lost on purpose. Take a road trip or even go abroad on your own. There’s freedom in the wild, and a thrill when you find your way home again — both literally and metaphorically.
5. Spa day. May sound relatively cliche, but a spa day either alone or with friends is a surefire way to feel truly pampered on Valentine’s Day. It will also do wonders for your complexion. Or the smoothness of your skin. Or your gnarly feet. And gentlemen, you should absolutely indulge in this one, too. Do you know what love is? A 90-minute Swedish massage.
6. Do something totally new with your hair. Change is a good thing! Look at how often Madonna has reinvented herself over the last few decades. Don’t be afraid to take a risk with your looks and try something new — even if it means finally dying your hair that shade of red you’ve wanted to try since you were 13 years old.
7. Drink champagne, or heck even prosecco can make anyone feel like they’re living the good life. Especially if you have fancy champagne glasses to go with the sparkly beverage.
8. Take a class. Perhaps you’ve wanted to take a class in French cooking or finally do some kickboxing. Now is the time to expand your interests and your repertoire of knowledge.
9. Bubble baths are your friends. Sure bubble baths with a significant other are a great experience, but think of all that space to yourself in the tub! Once you embrace just how awesome it is to light up some candles and take a bubble bath solo, you’ll make it a weekly ritual.
10. Buy new lingerie and/or sheets. Satin sheets and lacy underthings are intimate items that can make you feel sexy even if you’re not seeing anyone. Just because you’re single doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be wearing the cutest low-rise hip-hugger undies on the block.
Have additional ideas on how to treat yourself this Valentine’s Day? Share in the comments below. If you are looking for true Chemistry, click here.
YourTango is a digital media company dedicated to love and relationships. As the thinking woman’s media brand, we are leading the conversation that is closest to women’s hearts. No matter what lovestage our users are in—single, taken, engaged, married, starting over, or complicated—we help them live their best love lives. Can’t get over your ex? Let YourTango help you break up with your ex and win!