With Valentine’s Day on the horizon it got us thinking, what is the one gift that would make any single gal’s heart go pitter pat? Tender loving care from a guy who is highly aware of a woman’s feeling and needs.  So we here at Chemistry.com rolled up our sleeves to reveal the nation’s Top Ten Cities to Find a Sensitive Man.

Using our data based on the personality types of American singles, we were able to pinpoint the cities with the highest concentrations of softhearted men– and you may be surprised by where these gallant gents are residing!

Our data revealed that many of the most sensitive men live along the east coast from Florida to New York.  Interestingly, the top 3 cities are all popular vacation destinations too:  Pompano Beach, Florida, one of America’s favorite beach towns ranks #1, Roanoke, Virginia, famous for the Blue Ridge Parkway comes in 2nd, with West Hollywood, California, home of the legendary Sunset Strip nabbing 3rd place.

We asked our chief scientific advisor, Dr. Helen Fisher to weigh in on our findings:

“Men do have a sensitive side. They want to please. But different men do it differently; and these 10 cities are packed with a certain kind of man, what I call BUILDERS — men who express a constellation of personality traits linked with the serotonin system in the brain,” says Dr. Helen Fisher, Chief Scientific Advisor to Chemistry.com. “Sensitive men, known as builders, are traditional. They deeply value loyalty, duty, respectability and proper moral conduct. They want to do the “right” thing. So builders go way out of their way to keep their social relationships running smoothly. So they watch, listen, and gauge what they need to do to help others and they do it naturally.  It’s these chivalrous qualities that make a sensitive man.”

Find the entire list of Top 10 Cities to Find a Sensitive Man below!

1. Pompano Beach, Florida
  2. Roanoke, Virginia
  3. West Hollywood, California
  4. Nashville, Tennessee
  5. Buffalo, New York
  6. Sarasota, Florida east
  7. Greenville, South Carolina
  8. Wilmington, North Carolina
  9. Indianapolis, Indiana
  10. Staten Island, New York

Do you live in one of these cities? Have you dated one of these sensitive fellows (or are you a sensitive man)? Share your opinions in the comments below!

Illustration by Kagan McLeod for Chemistry.com

23 responses to “Top Ten Cities to Find a Sensitive Man”

1. Nancykeithan says:

Staten Island? Interesting

• Kelly says:

I live in Roanoke and I can attest for the sensative men status. Overly sensative Man Babies, that is. If you like a man who cries more than you do, is needy and jealous and clingy, this is your city! Well, also if you don’t mind missing teeth….

Lol, maybe a little harsh, but sadly true for me! I can’t wait to get up OUT of Roanoke and away from sensative man babies!

2. Larry Gist says:

The only type of sensitive man you are going to find in West Hollywood is the kind that is sensitive with other sensitive men! LOL – trust me I know!

3. Guest says:

There is something wrong here. I never lived in any of these cities. And Buffalo? You must be kidding.

• Rstht says:

Clearly you have never been to Buffalo. Instead of making generalizations, you should know what you are talking about before you blab it out

4. who would have thought buffalo. lol

5. I live in Buffalo and yes, met and married a man here too. We’ve been married 20+ years!

6. Bythebeachbaby says:

I have lived in 5 of your 10 cities in the past 30 years and I want to know WHERE you get your data? From the married men who are especially sensitive to their MISTRESSES? From the gay men who want to be your buddy???? Or even better from the men in half of these towns that are “sensitive” because they can’t break away from their moms? You have it so wrong….Especially the top 3. One of the locations has NO single straight men except 18 to 25 year old college students…..This is probably the most bogus list I have ever read online. Someone needs to CHECK their facts by actually visiting these places for a period of a week…that would be all it would take. TRUST ME!

7. maureen says:

I found my sensitive man in Buffalo, New York.

8. Anonymous says:

West Hollywood should be numero uno. There’s a reason it’s called “The “Creative CIty”. We Ho has the best looking people in the world, the most educated, most artists, most talented people ever. Everyone wants to live in West Hollywood, only problem is it’s only 1.9 sq mi in size and busting at the seams with “creative” people. No place like it in the world and probably never will be

• Guest says:

West Hollywood is sensitive because it’s largely gay. Nothing wrong with being gay, but straight women looking for straight guys aren’t going to find what they’re looking for there. Oh, and no, not everyone wants to live in West Hollywood. I know the area well, and you couldn’t pay me to live there. I’d never live anywhere in the city.

9. Hmmm, OK, I haven’t lived near Pompano Beach in 19 years, but I don’t recall the guys being particularly sensitive there, any more than any place else! Totally agree that men tend to be more sensitive than we ladies give them credit for, AND more so than is portrayed in movies and on TV. Thank heavens!

10. Roanoke Gal says:

I found mine in Roanoke,VA! I lived all over the world and when I finally came back “home” I found my man – at age 30!!! After 11 years of marriage he is still the most sincere, loving and kind person I’ve ever known. 🙂

11. Hi says:

I am the most sensitive straight guy in Roanoke; and I’m under 30. : P

12. MelissaP says:

West Hollywood???? Seriously? There is no conglomeration in the world of men that are gayer and more vain or distracted. Just sayin’

13. Bananapandas93 says:

stop trying to generalize things. They are just trying to make you spend time on this website so they can have more advertisement to consumer quality time. It may be possible that the data in the study came to an incorrect/unrelated conclusion. furthermore, it is only to men who are ON CHEMISTRY.COM…. let me remind you most people still like to meet people the normal way: in person.

14. Lamode says:

En Puerto Rico tambien los tenemos muy sensitivos.

15. larab says:

MY sensitive husband was born and raised in Buffalo, NY and I was not. We have been married 24 years.

16. Carinakp says:

I don’t think location has anything to do with it anymore. The U.S. has people moving around and or transferred so often, people aren’t really of any certain place anymore. I think it depends more on parents values from the guys upbringing. Also, no matter where you live, women can help teach men that they demand respect. Dump the guy if he doesn’t treat you the way you deserve to be treated. Stop the infatuations with the bad boy types. Eventually they’ll get the message or spend a lonely life when they are old and wheel chair bound. Women need to stick up for themselves. Dr. Phil once asked a woman who was being mistreated if she had a sign around her neck saying “door mat”! Stay away from those men and they’ll eventually learn. Otherwise, their loss not yours:-)

17. roothands says:

LOL I’m from Nashville and that is utter BS if you ask me

18. Carrie says:

find it very funny/typical that New York City isn’t on there. Do New York women have any hope?