If you are looking for the perfect movie for a date night at home, skip renting a chick flick or action film and opt for something horrifying instead. Studies have shown that scary situations promote intimacy, and this includes watching a blood-curdling film! But keep in mind, not everyone likes their spine-chilling entertainment served up the same way. So to simplify the process of picking the right film, we created a list of selections for horror movie wimps, enthusiasts, and aficionados.
Horror Movie Wimps: As a rule of thumb, stick to films with a supernatural theme.
Top Pick: The Sixth Sense
- The gist: A boy who speaks with dead people that don’t know they’re dead seeks the help of a disheartened child psychologist to deal with his problem.
- Good for: The easily frightened thrill seeker who appreciates chills, suspense, and tension, but can’t handle buckets of gore
- Why is this date worthy? This psychological thriller has plenty of jump-out-of-your-seat moments which will lead to frequent knee grabbing and hand holding. As an extra bonus, the film’s plot twist will give you and your date plenty to talk about when the movie ends. Just make sure your date has never seen this movie before!
- Runner Ups: The Others and Poltergeist
Horror Movie Enthusiasts: Switch things up by selecting a comedy horror film rich in satire, gore, and scary creatures.
Top pick: Shaun of the Dead
- The gist: A man wins back his ex-girlfriend and reconciles his relationship with his mother, while dealing with an entire community that has become flesh-eating zombies.
- Good for: Viewers who don’t get squeamish when they see buckets of blood or witness cannibalistic acts.
- Why is this date worthy?: The likable hero will create a bond between you and your date as you root for him throughout the movie.
- Runner Ups: Army of Darkness and Return of The Living Dead
Horror Movie Aficionados: Go for hard boiled horror films shot in realistic settings, with a strong script and cast.
Top Pick: 28 Days Later
- The gist: The movie opens with a man waking up in a deserted London hospital littered with dead bodies. Shortly after, the man discovers that an incurable virus has turned most of the population into flesh-eating zombies who move so fast they can outpace an Olympic runner.
- Good for: Viewers with a high tolerance for terror and think happy endings are a cop out.
- Why is this date worthy? This movie is so disturbing you and your date will be too afraid to sleep alone, so be prepared to have an overnight guest!
- Runners Up: The Shining and The Blair Witch Project
Have a movie you want to suggest? Share in the comments below!